Natural Area Maintenance | Wheaton
Bedrock Earthscapes, LLC serves Wheaton, Carol Stream, West Chicago, Hoffman Estates, Naperville, Downers Grove, Schaumburg, St. Charles and surrounding areas as premier natural area maintenance and created native planting professionals. We provide high quality stewardship of natural areas and created native areas including prairies, meadows, savannas, woodlands, wetlands, detention areas, bio-swales, pond edges and streambanks.
Our services options include:
- Natural area and created native area restoration and maintenance.
- Native plantings for energy and cost reduction.
- Site water best management practices (BMP’s): Detention area native plantings, pond and steam edge restoration, rain gardens, bio-swales, and cisterns to reduce pollutant runoff and to reduce potable water use in the landscape.
- Green walls, green roofs, and hardsurface shading to reduce cooling costs and urban heat effect.
- Inclusion of harvestable edible plants where possible.
When developing native planting areas, Bedrock Earthscapes, LLC considers the interaction of people, plants, soil and water to develop solutions for transforming resource intensive landscapes into more beautiful and sustainable earthscapes. We begin with an evaluation of your site soil conditions, site water characteristics, environmental conditions and how people use your site. Our desire is to ensure all four elements – soil, water, plants and people – interact admirably.
Benefits of native plantings:
- Reduces maintenance cost by up to 80% on converted areas.
- Increases soil absorption of rainfall, reducing site water runoff, and eliminates the use of potable water for turf irrigation.
- Increases visual interest and beauty through the use of a variety of native grasses and perennial flowers.
- Increases biodiversity and enhances the site ecosystem, attracting birds and butterflies.
- Reduces energy use and engine emissions associated with weekly mowing.
- Eliminates use of fertilizer and chemical weed control used to maintain turf quality.
Benefits of rainwater collection and reuse:
- Reduction or elimination of cost for water to irrigate lawns.
- Use of rainwater for other non-potable purposes, if desired.
- Reduction of site water runoff and of downstream flooding.
Calculate your roof’s runoff
- Calculate the collection area of your roof in square feet. Make it simple by using the square footage of the foundation of your building.
- Find the average annual rainfall for your location in feet. You will likely need to convert from inches to feet. For instance, 36 inches average annual rainfall equals 3 feet.
- Multiply your roof’s area (step 1) by the average annual rainfall (step 2) to get cubic feet of runoff per year.
- Calculate gallons per year by multiplying the result from step 3 by 7.48.
- A building in Chicago has a roof area of 1800 square feet. Northern Illinois averages 34 inches of rain a year, or 2.83 feet. 1800 x 2.83 x 7.48 = 38,103 gallons per year.
- In a .25″ rainfall on the same roof: 1800 x (.25/12) x 7.48 = 280 gallons. That will more than fill a few rain barrels!
Benefits of wall and hardsurface shading:
- Reduction of cooling costs through seasonal shade on building walls and paved areas.
- Enhanced beauty by visually screening the view of massive wall and parking lot areas.
- Improved air quality through filtration of airborne pollutants, plant consumption and reduction of carbon dioxide, and air cooling through plant transpiration.
Benefits of permeable pavement:
- Reduced lifetime cost of paved area maintenance.
- Less water and pollutant runoff, and a cooler site footprint.
- Potential to capture, filter and use water for landscape irrigation.
- Reduced slip hazards, and more buildable site acreage.
Benefits of a Green Roof:
- Reduces cooling demand 25% or more by shading and reducing roof temperatures >60°.
- Extends the life of the roof up to two times normal life by blocking deteriorating sunlight from reaching the roofing material.
- Absorbs up to 60% of seasonal rainfall, reducing site water runoff.
- Increases visual interest.
Wheaton, Carol Stream, West Chicago, Hoffman Estates, Naperville, Downers Grove, Schaumburg, St. Charles and surrounding areas.